Timing Belts at a Glance
The engine in your Volkswagen car or SUV is made up of many parts. All of them have to move at the right times, or they'll collide. A rubber belt helps them avoid doing that -- your timing belt.
Also called a cambelt, it synchronizes the rotation of the crankshaft and camshaft. When both shafts move at the right intervals, your engine's pistons can pump, and its intake and exhaust valves can open and close the way they're supposed to.
What are the Signs a Timing Belt is Going Out?
There aren't many, unfortunately. That can make figuring out when to replace one just as hard. Regardless, the few symptoms that there are, you can spot fairly easily. Look for:
- Sudden engine misfires (which usually indicate belt slippage or breakdown)
- Ticking noises under the hood
- Oil leaks in front of the motor
- The engine underperforming at lower rpm
- Excessive smoke and fumes coming from the exhaust
- The engine not starting
If your timing belt fails, however, the results are a domino effect of worse scenarios: misaligned timing, loss of engine power, complete engine shutdown, and damage to the engine's valves and cylinder heads.
So, How Often Does a Timing Belt Need to be Replaced?
You'll find the answer in your owner's manual. Mileage is often its benchmark: with newer models, about every 100,000 miles, and with older models, about every 60,000 miles.
If you're looking to buy a new timing belt online, our auto parts store is your source. We've got a complete catalog, and you can order from it right here.
Genuine VW Timing Belts for Sale Online -- Shop Now
So, why buy OEM, versus aftermarket? What Volkswagen designs for its cars and SUVs is built specifically with them in mind. So, order one today -- we'll ship to you ASAP, and you'll have repairs done before you know it.
No results found for "timing belt". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!